Speed isn't everything...

cpuaid
Administrator
This post was updated on .
I've own some pretty fast MAB's but after bringing my trusty old GZ25N GEBE back out of retirement again, I remember the simple joy of puttering around at 17 MPH on a bike. I mean, do we really need to go faster than 20 MPH on a MAB when going around town? I actually enjoy shifting gears, peddling, and only using the engine to "assist" me. i love the newly rebuilt Genesis GEBE EH035, but do not like how much gas I use weekly with the bigger engine. it takes the the stock tank and a 200 ML (700 ML total) refill to make it to work and back (28 miles over many hills). on the GZ25N GEBE, it only takes me 400 ML round trip. the GZ25N GEBE gets me where I need to go, it may take me a little bit longer, but i get more exercise, use less fuel, and annoy fewer "real" cyclists. don't get me wrong, i love the faster MAB's, but pushing the legal speed limit to almost 30 MPH is just not safe for inexperienced MAB'ers. This is what happened to one of my EH035's when my inexperienced wife crashed my MAB into the side of a fence going 28 MPH. Fortunately repair parts for the damage is about $35 - $40.

Re: Speed isn't everything...

elgallo
Cpuaid I totally agree with you. I see a lot of people wanting to go faster. What for? It's a bicycle, not meant for that kind of speed.
I say if you want speed go with a scooter or a motorcycle. Safer and less of a hassle.

Re: Speed isn't everything...

Diane K
I have to agree, a bicycle is not designed to go as fast as a scooter. I chose the pedal assist route precisely so I could go slow. I still have some PTSD from being hit and the idea of going fast on a bike scares me. I am enjoying my cruiser exactly as it is, slow and comfortable.

Re: Speed isn't everything...

KevinK
Hey cpu....

And yes speed is not the only thing I certainly agree....

Yet there is a cycling race world out there and its huge....is this bad?

Well I am a part of that world and my bicycle technology is.....well can I say it?

Very high end....

My MaB technology is my waste product from my former bicycle racing career....and is this bad?

Cycling culture is in itself a very self absorbed lot since the humble bicycle has to be pedaled and since it must be pedaled the engine comes from the human...or that sub-human species such as Lance Armstrong....and so do we blame Mr. Armstrong for this sad number of events in cycling culture?

I would blame the sport itself and maybe all sports and so I know many many successful athletes that are and have been upon the world stage and so every one likes big hits in football and huge three pointers in basketball and very very fast men who happen to pedal bicycles in the Tour.....

And yet we love our stars of sport.....

And to the question of speed and a power assist bicycle I would say that the speed thing and the bicycle is over rated especially with a motor upon one and with an individual that is not used to high speed such as a bicycle racer such as myself ....

One can and will be injured with an over powered "bicycle" and so our dearest Augi has educated me upon this issue and I am so thankful for that education on this issue....

I maybe will film one of our Tuesday nite rides with near 40 mph descents in close quarter with many many riders and of course its perfectly safe since all of the participants understand the risks and have great skill upon their humble bicycles.....

It is a different world ....and yet I am quite at home here in this world and so when worlds collide we try to communicate and that is where much benefit will come....and many will see upon that collision that  we have so much in common....

Kev

Re: Speed isn't everything...

augidog
Administrator
This post was updated on .
I often ponder why we few are at odds with most of our fellow enthusiasts.

just now the words came to me.

any gearhead at any level strives for speed & performance.

it's just that we choose to accept the parameters of this particular class of vehicle, and are able to (and willing to) differentiate between what "on-road" and "off-road" means in this specific instance. we're not asking our engine-on-bicycle to be something it's not.

for me, it's like "just how small can I go and still get 25-30mph?" I love that challenge.

does that makes sense, or have I had one too many pbr's tonite?
Even looking at a map takes on a different feeling, than it did in our pre-MB years. -bamabikeguy-
Get a bicycle, you will not regret it. If you live. -Mark Twain-
The bike saved my life by giving me one. -augidog-

Re: Speed isn't everything...

cpuaid
Administrator
i second that about the how fast you can go with a small of a size engine. what i'm also after is how far I can go with the least amount of gas as possible.

Re: Speed isn't everything...

KevinK
augidog wrote
I often ponder why we few are at odds with most of our fellow enthusiasts.

just now the words came to me.

any gearhead at any level strives for speed & performance.

it's just that we choose to accept the parameters of this particular class of vehicle, and are able to (and willing to) differentiate between what "on-road" and "off-road" means in this specific instance. we're not asking our engine-on-bicycle to be something it's not.

for me, it's like "just how small can I go and still get 25-30mph?" I love that challenge.

does that makes sense, or have I had one too many pbr's tonite?

Augie,

Maybe over a hundred years ago it was the deal to push the "speed" envelope upon a bicycle but not now...and yes doing more with less and using that small engine within its parameters is very rewarding to me to....

The exciting thing is the huge transportation freebe one gets with an MaB....

Kev

Re: Speed isn't everything...

KevinK
cpuaid wrote
i second that about the how fast you can go with a small of a size engine. what i'm also after is how far I can go with the least amount of gas as possible.

Bingo!! cpuaid!!

I got 270 miles upon my GEBE/Fisher setup with a very steady pedal assist. I averaged 20 mph on a flat wind protected paved bicycle trail....

Just so you know I have done 100 mile plus bike rides and averaged over 20 mph on a high end road bike.....

The difference? Hardly a sweat with the GEBE/Fisher vs the road pedal bicycle which  was a huge workout and huge sweat.....

Sorry to beat the band but GEBE is the best kit anywhere on the planet including the electrics for efficient personal cheap transportation when done right....

Kev

Re: Speed isn't everything...

Rif Addams
Let me reiterate the joy of lower speed motor biking with the vintage Bike Bug/Tas Spitz mounted on my 1966 Schwinn Typhoon Middleweight...
23cc, front mount friction drive. Hums right along at 20 mph. I actually interact with my environment, while actually seeing the scenery.
I have fast bikes, I have slow bikes. Each has it's place and every one is dear to my heart for each one's own unique parameters, quirks, and personality.
Let the solution be the revolution
"I just wanna have some fun, before they throw me in the sanitarium!"

Re: Speed isn't everything...

bluegoatwoods
For me it's pretty simple; I don't want to ride a bicycle faster than a bicycle should be ridden.

The motor is for giving me a decent average speed and for getting me to my destination without being all sweaty and exhausted.

Though I'm able to respect racing on a closed course under reasonable controls, I think those who try to use these like a motorcycle on the street are making a bad mistake.

Re: Speed isn't everything...

cpuaid
Administrator
a lot of people just can't understand that there is a time and place for faster MAB's and not for every day riding on the streets. one co-worker is a guy with a last production year GTO (2006, 400 HP) with the corvette engine. another has a 2003 mustang cobra with 390 hp. they thought i was crazy spending a lot of money on the 47R and expansion pipe and for me not to ride it to work. they just can't understand i put it together for off street or track racing events. recently i've been commuting on the e-bike which has a furious top speed of 20 mph. they're wondering why i'm not riding the genesis gebe with the mitsu tle-43 any more (that can do 35 mph). sometimes you've just got to go slow and enjoy the scenery and ride!

Re: Speed isn't everything...

Lewis-S

 I'm in the same mind-set myself.

   I'd actually thinking if my old Ryobi 4-stroke weedeater's accessory bits die, I'm strongly considering of converting it to a small bicycle engine.  I've owned a lot of small motorcycles in my past.  The ones that gave me the greatest joy to ride were the little ones.  A number of Honda trail 90's and pushrod engined 50cc bikes have been my daily riders for years, and I owned a old Velo Solex Moped for 12 years which certainly is one of the slowest 49 cc moped bikes made.

 Low stress on the bike frame and high fuel mileage, it's why I'm considering a 1980's vintage SRM-Echo 33cc engine for my first ever scratch-built motor assisted bicycle. well besides the fact that the Echo engines are just darn near impossible to kill and this particular weedeater is very underpowered for it's displacement. I'm attempting to also make this a very low weight installation, just not sure who to go about making it lighter than it already is.

Re: Speed isn't everything...

Bendecaster
I think this post was a great read for me. I get it, really! It hits home for me, as in a past life, I was trying to be the fastest and turn more heads than wrenches it took to do it "right"! I blame my personality for most of this, being a performer since young years, I have been cursed with the worst case of "Hey, look at me!" that I've ever encountered. I feel that now, I have this under control(dang, why did this take so long?) and can differentiate from the adoration of people who enjoy my skills as an instrumentalist, to being the guy next door! *disclaimer*- That was a joke(mostly), as I know there's no real adoration, just appreciation, but I can accept that. I can imagine this could really be an issue for folks that play in bands that pack stadiums, but the bar-band guy, like myself, ehh, not really. Me and my digression...

I just love the idea of getting there "without so much sweat", as was so eloquently noted here. After my last serious injury on 2 wheels, I really don't care, whatsoever, about booking along above the speed limit, or even near it. I CAN drive 25! Before I had my license suspended, I was on a long roll of being the nice guy, "behind the wheel" and really got the concept of just getting there in one piece! And I really enjoyed the fact that other drivers will smile and wave, instead of the middle-finger salute, that I'd been accustomed to.

I appreciate the fact that this mode of transportation is reasonably inexpensive(definitely, compared to buying a new car or motorcycle). I do see that you can put some time and money into this, but again, compared to other vehicles, it's a drop in the bucket. I'm digging the kindness and help this community offers(yeah, you guys). It makes me want to achieve for a better/safer(not quicker) MaB. And, I will!

One thing though, cpuaid. How's your wife after hitting the fence at 28mph?

Thank you all, again!

Re: Speed isn't everything...

LR Jerry
Here in the mountains speed can vary greatly from 6 - 50+ mph.  The ability to climb 30% grade hills is what's most important.

Re: Speed isn't everything...

augidog
Administrator
hi jerry, I'm always glad to see you check in.

altho a no-sweat level run is very cool to experience, I agree with you that climbing is really what assist is all about. when I topped loup-loup pass in the north cascades, it was after an entire day of hard pedaling...but without assist it would have taken me two days. if one looks at it that way, our contraptions give us plenty of speed to get off on.

I too have enjoyed some pretty mind-blowing downhills after grueling climbs, but I think that particular satisfaction comes from assembling, and maintaining, a bicycle that can not only do it safely but throw itself into the next climb too.
Even looking at a map takes on a different feeling, than it did in our pre-MB years. -bamabikeguy-
Get a bicycle, you will not regret it. If you live. -Mark Twain-
The bike saved my life by giving me one. -augidog-

Re: Speed isn't everything...

Madd Matt
Hey Guys/Gals!
New guy here. I went through the posts under this thread's topic (Speed not everything) and I got say YESSSS!! You guys GOT IT!! Anything over 20 to 25 MPH is enough to make my BUTT pucker, big time...it is flat out SCARY to be moving that fast with absolutely nothing between yourself and the road, other than a helmet and your levis. (helmets are another topic in itself that people do not appreciate the importance of; brains belong INSIDE our skulls!).
Anyone who has ever had to lay their bike down at speed will know intimately what I'm talking about.
I'm not trying to get on a pulpit here and force my views (don't have to here, you guys understand) but a bicycle frame will do some weird things when exposed to the harmonic vibrations created by a gas motor over time. Please check your welds frequently!
Anyways, I too, am firmly in the camp of "I would rather be able to climb the hill without physical exhaustion than to be able to keep up w/ 45 MPH traffic".
Enough of my ranting,
Madd Matt

Re: Speed isn't everything...

augidog
Administrator
hi Matt...here, where we "get it" as you say, we don't call it ranting, we call it using common sense