HELLO! To All from the New Guy!!

Madd Matt
   Am VERY glad to see a forum dedicated to the legal riding of  these wonderful little contraptions!
My handle is Madd Matt and I have been riding & building motored bikes since mid-2006 (back when gas got up to $5.00 USD per Gallon--WHEW!) I build and ride both electric and 2-stroke as the fancy hits me.
So far I have put together 4 electric & 6 2-stroke, I wind up giving them away, mostly to family and friends.
   I have an almost son-n-law who thinks we should turn this hobby of mine into a proper business but I am not real sure about that. In my experience, every time I built one for payment I would end up losing money. I want people to love these things as much as I and because the standard build of a 2-stroke is not very reliable for the average non-mechanic; as well as how they under-perform...I wind up putting on the performance parts these bikes desperately need.(out of my own pocket: no one ever accused me of being intelligent) At least I have figured out that it requires about $1000.00 USD to build a reliable well performing bike. (and pay the mechanic -me- about $200.00 USD for the effort.)
   Therein lies the problem, when the average person hears what one of these costs, they absolutely FREAK out. Most people think in terms of Wal-Mart, these bikes should cost $250.00 to maybe $300.00 USD. We know better though!!
  Well, enuff of my whining!!!
  Hello again to everyone & if I can help anyone I'll be happy to and not BS anyone, If I don't know I'll say so.
Later All,
Madd Matt

Re: HELLO! To All from the New Guy!!

augidog
Administrator
This post was updated on .
hello Matt, in my early days i received a lot of samples for evaluation, on the old forum, and i too gave them away...it was more fun having a group to ride with than owning a fleet.

and you are spot on about the final "real" cost of a good MaB. Now, I just recommend a $600 Golden Eagle kit on a $400 bike, and hardly any maintenance ever, because yes i do know better. i prefer riding to repairing, and personally will not even put a wrench to any Happy Time any more. Plus they're definitively illegal in Oregon, anyways.

it seems that almost everyone i've ever encountered immediately says i should be making money doing this, but heck yeah the liabilities, and the unreliabilities of anything but the higher quality kits, makes it one big headache. best to just have fun helping others to build them correctly. PLUS, most newbies don't give one hoot about legality and the underlying issues, they'd rather make up their own versions of the law, and THEN spout them as if they're experts, which leads to more problems and TONS of craigslist "professionals" which leads to more problems...

i've upgraded your membership to allow you to post on the main board, and would love to see or read anything you care to share with us.

welcome to our little place
Even looking at a map takes on a different feeling, than it did in our pre-MB years. -bamabikeguy-
Get a bicycle, you will not regret it. If you live. -Mark Twain-
The bike saved my life by giving me one. -augidog-

Re: HELLO! To All from the New Guy!!

cpuaid
Administrator
Welcome aboard, Matt. it's good to see someone who not only started building / riding MAB's since 2006 but has still stuck with them until 2017. hats off to you, my friend. Augidog has already stated the important stuff. I look forward to seeing more posts from you.

Re: HELLO! To All from the New Guy!!

Madd Matt
To Augidog, Cpuaid and everyone else at Motor-Assisted,
    I am overwhelmed. I belong (no, that's not right,,,,,enrolled is more descriptive) to some other forums but your response to my introduction makes me feel like I belong to this group. [ I finally found some people who "get me" :) I told that shrink he was off base & there ARE people out there like me! :) :) ]
Thanks for the warm welcome and lookin forward to the coming years,
Madd Matt

On Wednesday, May 10, 2017 1:30 PM, cpuaid [via Motor-Assisted Bicycling] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Welcome aboard, Matt. it's good to see someone who not only started building / riding MAB's since 2006 but has still stuck with them until 2017. hats off to you, my friend. Augidog has already stated the important stuff. I look forward to seeing more posts from you.

http://motor-assisted-bicycling.1062526.n5.nabble.com/HELLO-To-All-from-the-New-Guy-tp5710578p5710581.html
To unsubscribe from HELLO! To All from the New Guy!!, click here.
NAML