Austin, Texas to the Canadian Border by Motorized Bicycle

12345

Austin, Texas to the Canadian Border by Motorized Bicycle

cpuaid
Administrator
This post was updated on .
I have been keeping a daily log of my commute to work since October 2013.
391 commuting days and 9725 miles later, I am finally ready to try something to push the limits of MAB traveling.
This has been something I had been wanting to do since I started building and riding Motorized Bicycles over 6 years ago.
Through trial and error, I think I have finally put together a MAB which is capable of reaching such a lofty goal.

You can read about the history of the bike here:
http://motor-assisted-bicycling.1062526.n5.nabble.com/Another-20-beater-bike-project-GEBE-Style-td5708101.html

There is little to no information on the route I plan to take.
With all of the recent flash flooding we have had in Texas and Oklahoma, it will basically be a "play it by ear" kind of trip.
The destination is 1400-1600 miles depending on the road condition and which route I take.
The goal is 350+ miles a day for 5 days (one way)
Return trip will be by car.
I am going for speed which means no fancy trailer and very little sleep.
Minimal supplies, only what I can fit in three baskets and a backpack.
(2) cell phones, (1) gallon can of Gas, (2) 1 quart bottles of Lucas 2 stroke oil, (6) 450 ml cans of pre-mixed fuel, (4) 1 quart bottles of pre-mix, (1) spare tire, (4) tubes, (3) drive belts, (2) tension arm springs, (1) small tent, (1) small blanket, (1) 6 volt solar AAA battery charger, (1) 7 watt folding solar panel, (1) 10000 mAh battery smart phone solar charger, (1) camouflage tarp, (1) 50' length of rope, tube patch kit, lots of zip ties, bungee cords, (30) energy bars, (2) bottles of Gatorade, (1) pack of moist wipes,  (1) bottle of sun block, an assortment of small tools.

Departure time will be 3 AM, June 06, 2015.

The Day before the trip.
Front basket, 2 lights on the rear baskets, 2 lights on my backpack are not shown in this picture.
Color scheme and uniform was chosen for high visibility to automobiles and other vehicles.
Cycling jersey and helmet is bright yellow and black as are my cycling pants.
The engine is a rare Mitsubishi TLE-43 (engine#3) with 138 miles on it. (chosen for fuel economy,reliability, and power)
The wheel is a GEBE Eagle Velocity 105g wheel.
The gear used is a custom tapped HTD #14
Tires used are: front - Bell Comfort tire with Kevlar reinforced; rear - Bell Roundabout Kevlar reinforced comfort tire (i have used these two inexpensive tires for years with very good results).
Slime brand flat liners installed on both tires.
GPS is the Garmin app for Iphone.
Setting is all avoidance turned on (meaning no Interstate Highways), Shortest distance

Re: Austin, Texas to the Canadian Border by Motorized Bicycle

bluegoatwoods
cpuaid!!!

You're livin' the dream, pal! My hat's off to you. You've got guts.

Best of luck.

I've been wondering how some of our Texas friends have been doing in these rains.

Re: Austin, Texas to the Canadian Border by Motorized Bicycle

cpuaid
Administrator
3:26 AM  and we are off!

Re: Austin, Texas to the Canadian Border by Motorized Bicycle

augidog
Administrator
I am absolutely thrilled for you! I know from experience that "launch" is an unforgettable moment. I'm with you all the way, and I think it's safe to say that so is anyone who's aware of this adventure.
Even looking at a map takes on a different feeling, than it did in our pre-MB years. -bamabikeguy-
Get a bicycle, you will not regret it. If you live. -Mark Twain-
The bike saved my life by giving me one. -augidog-

Re: Austin, Texas to the Canadian Border by Motorized Bicycle

cpuaid
Administrator
This post was updated on .
6:56 am and we are 73 miles into the trip!
Welcome to Lampasas, Texas
I was wise in leaving early. Made really good time out of town.
Average speed was 28 mph.
The bike is performing beautifully so far.
Used up only 2 quarts and 4 pints of fuel so far.

AAA batteries charging using small 6 volt
Solar panel on the lower basket.
iPhone is charging on the 7 watt folding solar panel
On top of the basket. How cool is that?

Re: Austin, Texas to the Canadian Border by Motorized Bicycle

cpuaid
Administrator
This post was updated on .
1:10 pm and I am in Hico, Texas

Emptied out all of my reserve fuel bottles
Refilled them at a gas station and bought my first Gallon of gas

Stopped earlier for an hour to catch a nap
Found a very cool store about 20 miles south that sold
Bison jerky so I bought $20 worth
Chit chatted with the owner, Dan, who was so impressed that he gave me a free bag of almonds that he sells for $6.75
Very cool guy so if anyone is around the area
Please stop by and give him some business because this place is awesome!

Dutchman's Hidden Valley Country Store
3408 N. U.S. Hwy. 281
Hamilton, TX 76531

Free bag of Raw Almonds from the cool owner

Saw a cool property that said motorcycle rest area

Road kill!!!

Re: Austin, Texas to the Canadian Border by Motorized Bicycle

Rif Addams
for those of us who know, will know all words to be faint, and yet for those who know not, well no words could ever paint...

the first kick off from launch will forever be etched in your mind, tattooed upon your spirit-
my blessings of the road to you my friend, i am with you in spirit on your journey! long distance riding well, it's a hard thing to describe, but each road has its own song, it's own rhythm. With each new leg, catch the groove, you'll settle deeper in the saddle, and the journey will carry you on the path of discovery.
Be forewarned though, you may come home a different you than the you that originally started out...
Again, my blessing of the road to you friend.

"let the world change you, and you can change the world"
Che Guevera
The Motorcycle Diaries
Let the solution be the revolution
"I just wanna have some fun, before they throw me in the sanitarium!"

Re: Austin, Texas to the Canadian Border by Motorized Bicycle

augidog
Administrator
This post was updated on .
well, I don't know about you, but I'm sure having fun today...a note for cpuaid's visitors...we'd be happy to have you participate here. start a new topic in our visitor's area and i'll move your post to this thread.

http://motor-assisted-bicycling.1062526.n5.nabble.com/Visitor-s-Area-No-Registration-Required-amp-Forum-HELP-f4734556.html
Even looking at a map takes on a different feeling, than it did in our pre-MB years. -bamabikeguy-
Get a bicycle, you will not regret it. If you live. -Mark Twain-
The bike saved my life by giving me one. -augidog-

Re: Austin, Texas to the Canadian Border by Motorized Bicycle

cpuaid
Administrator
This post was updated on .
6:11 PM
Not making very good progress the last 50 miles
Heavy construction and the highway was only one lane each way
A 20 mile stretch was the worst I had ever ridden on
Pothole city!
Was only able to manage 10 - 15 mph during that stretch
My brain got so rattled that I had to pull into a dollar store to buy some ibruprofen
Am currently about 10 miles south of Breckenridge, Texas
The Oklahoma border is still a long ways to go
GPS shows 174 miles from home

Bought this flag at the Dollar Store
A guy saw me got off the bike and asked to take a picture of me and the bike!

Re: Austin, Texas to the Canadian Border by Motorized Bicycle

Rif Addams
cpuaid wrote
...A 20 mile stretch was the worst I had ever ridden on
Pothole city!
Was only able to manage 10 - 15 mph during that stretch
My brain got so rattled that I had to pull into a dollar store to buy some ibuprofen...
and sometimes that rhythm of the road is punk rock...
It's a moment in time, and it will pass friend, allow it to happen and fade away. Thank you, so much for this story, the up to the minute details and updates, you've no idea how wonderful this is for those of us who have been there, but for whatever reasons are no longer physically able to long distance journey and adventure.
Thank you!!!
Let the solution be the revolution
"I just wanna have some fun, before they throw me in the sanitarium!"

Re: Austin, Texas to the Canadian Border by Motorized Bicycle

cpuaid
Administrator
2:43 AM
Tried to make it out of Texas in one day but ended up in Vernon, Tx
The last gas station was about 80 miles back and I barely made it to this town running on fumes!
When I selected the option to avoid highways, the GPS seems to lead me to the smallest rinky dink highways
I saw only a handful of cars on the last route
Riding in pitch darkness in the boonies is not fun
Especially when you are low on fuel
The next rest area was 23 miles but I was too exhausted to continue so wimped out and got a hotel for a couple of hours

This was another reason I didn't want to camp out in the boonies

Get a bicycle, you will not regret it. If you live. -Mark Twain-
The bike saved my life by giving me one. -augidog-

Re: Austin, Texas to the Canadian Border by Motorized Bicycle

cpuaid
Administrator
Thanks for plotting the waypoints on the map, Augie!
Like I stated, the route was chosen because it was to be the safest for a MAB traveler.
Learned a couple of things yesterday.
Carry enough fuel for any emergencies
Most of us have been spoiled in that we can find a gas station at every corner
Traveling through desolate parts of the country we will be in for a rude awakening
I seriously panicked when I was in the middle of nowhere in the dark of night and the Gps tells the closest fuel station was 68 miles
Another thing I learned was if you are riding in the country starting from dusk the tiny flying bugs will be out
My 7 hours of night riding was a horrible experience
Most of the time the air was thick with clouds of the insects
We're not talking about hundreds but millions
I will have to stop somewhere to buy clear safety glasses and a bandana for night use

Rif was right about how a cross country tour on MAB
Changes you
23 hours on a MAB non stop with no music and just the hum of your engine and optical overload by what you see is a mind blowing experience

Alright it's almost 8:45 so it's time to hit the road again!

Re: Austin, Texas to the Canadian Border by Motorized Bicycle

bluegoatwoods
Good stuff, cpuaid!

We're all hoping for a happy experience, of course. But I don't suppose it's reasonable to expect it to be perfectly comfortable every step of the way.

I believe you on the bug thing. I always wear wrap around glasses on my bike mostly because of bugs. Only secondarily because of flying stones and such. Though that's a good reason, too, of course.

The technology of the modern age sure is dazzling, isn't it? Getting near-up to the minute updates from you is very cool. Best of luck and I'll be watching with interest.

Re: Austin, Texas to the Canadian Border by Motorized Bicycle

Rif Addams
The Road is a harsh mistress, but fulfilling and rewarding as well.
I was looking at my atlas last night, but Augi has the map up on here now. Man you made some good distance and time regardless of your goal, for rewal!!!
  My friend be prepared for a whole lot of our America is still a vast land of nothing, and when you get into Nebraska and the Dakotas, carry plenty of rations and fuel, as much as you can, there are little towns and waypoints, but the stretches between are long.
  I got lost in the desert of Wyoming at one point, no phone, no fuel, no water, no food. I got real lucky, but there was a time in that, which the reality and severity of the situation had me terrified. Not to diminish your journey, but I don't want to sugar coat the long expanses of nothing either.
 and yes, safety glasses please, it will help keep the bugs, dust and grit, rocks from pinging you, and it will help keep the wind burn down.
 as for sleep deprivation, well I ran on averaged out, about five hours of sleep per night, sometimes more sometimes less.
 One other thing, there will be days when you find you are ready to call it off, when you fall into bed thoroughly disgusted, dejected, and wanting no more. it is in this, you awaken within yourself the real you; the core of who you are, and usually, awaken the next day to a whole new perspective and most beautiful riding. MAB long distance is serendipitous, but trust me, when you reach your destination, you will look back and never regret having any of it!
 good riding to you today my friend!!!!
Let the solution be the revolution
"I just wanna have some fun, before they throw me in the sanitarium!"

Re: Austin, Texas to the Canadian Border by Motorized Bicycle

cpuaid
Administrator
This post was updated on .
2:38 PM and I am in Elk City, Oklahoma

The ride to get here was a very rough one
Extreme heat and very strong winds
Most of the highway on this route had a shoulder to ride on
I'm heading north and there is a huge bicycle marathon heading south
I got many strange looks as the bike screamed towards them
Unlike Texas there are no rest or picnic areas
Lots of desert with no shade to take a break

A cool thing happened as I entered Oklahoma
An independent camera man for the local news flagged me down and asked for an interview!
5 minute interview on video!
I feel like I am famous!

Ok I have to hit the road soon to try and get out of Oklahoma by the end of the day!

My first news interview!

news interview

The famous Red River!

Welcome to Oklahoma!

Bike Across Oklahoma race!

Stuck behind a harvester the size of two lanes on a two lane highway
He can go 30 Mph
I can go 28 mph uphill
No getting around the big guy!

It's so windy here in Southern Oklahoma that they have wind farms!

First i have to worry about bugs and snakes, now I have to deal with escaped convicts!!

This was one huge aircraft body!!!

Elk City is a bird and my sanctuary!!

More Wind Farms in Northern Oklahoma!

Re: Austin, Texas to the Canadian Border by Motorized Bicycle

cpuaid
Administrator
This post was updated on .
7:33   5 miles north of Sharon, Oklahoma
I'm caught in a thunderstorm!
Found the closest place off the side of the embankment where
It was hard to be seen from above
Covered the bike with my camo tarp and tied it down as well as I could
Rain came down too fast and heavy for me to pitch my tent
So I covered myself up and zipped it tight
Looks like an oversized sleeping bag but at least I'm halfway dry

Update: There was a break in the rain so I quickly put it all together
Good thing I did because it's coming down pretty hard now!

Re: Austin, Texas to the Canadian Border by Motorized Bicycle

augidog
Administrator
it looks like you got caught by a diagonal band of activity running from the great lakes to new mexico, which is steadily moving eastward. if you stay dry enough to get some effective rest, you should be good to go in a few hours.

thanks for this, cpuaid, I'm right there with you brother
Even looking at a map takes on a different feeling, than it did in our pre-MB years. -bamabikeguy-
Get a bicycle, you will not regret it. If you live. -Mark Twain-
The bike saved my life by giving me one. -augidog-

Re: Austin, Texas to the Canadian Border by Motorized Bicycle

Rif Addams
been there brother!
you are doin' alright, just hang tough, hunker down, and wait it out.
this will be offset the first night you roll out a bag, no tent, next to a creek, and sleep with only the stars as your blanket, to be waking a few hours later to the golden sun rising, lighting up the blue skies...
I am right there, in the thick of it with you my brother!