79 Pred no start

motormike777
Will be homeless in a few days so need the help.

Anyone know the proper air gap for the magneto?? I can't find any info whatsoever! Been trying and trying.

I set valve lash to .004, put a #85 jet in my nt carb. Took everything apart again, checked the timing which is completely fine, tried a hooking up a spare kill switch still nothing. Although now I can hear some of the exhaust like a it want's to start since I swapped to my 2nd NT carb. And after switching from #78 jet to #85 in the 2nd nt carb I can hear less exhaust now when trying to start. Really trying to get this running tonight...

The drive shaft stripped out waaaay too easily... I used a longer bolt with wider spacing and deeper threads; if you looked down the length of the bolt it's maybe just a hair wider than the original because of the threads. Shoved about 9 strands of copper wire in the hole, tapped the bolt with a hammer to get it started and it worked very, very well. When it started to feel like it was getting a little loose I tapped with the hammer a few more times and it tightened up again!

I doused it in red thread-locker.
Just trying to get on the road, even though my hilliard clutch will be arriving in a few days... I'll burn this one out first.

Not giving up; lost too damn much to go out like this.
Even if I have to sit in my neighbors shed and eat dry ramen and vienna sausages for a week, i'd appreciate any help you guys can give!!!

Need to know that air gap for the magneto!

Re: 79 Pred no start

augidog
Administrator
i usually use a matchbook cover or similar, for all small engine magneto adjustments. loosen the bolts, put the thick paper in between the flywheel and magneto. turn the flywheel until the magnet's holding the magneto in place. tighten the bolts. remove the paper.
Even looking at a map takes on a different feeling, than it did in our pre-MB years. -bamabikeguy-
Get a bicycle, you will not regret it. If you live. -Mark Twain-
The bike saved my life by giving me one. -augidog-

Re: 79 Pred no start

motormike777
Thanks for the feedback. I had the feeler gauges set my air gap to .30 and with nt carb at half choke with #85 jet she fired up!